Tuesday 4 May 2021

 Letters to the Lost

by

Iona Grey



Review

This is a book that I have had on my TBR shelf for a few years now (I am ashamed to say!) and this year I have made it my mission to read more of the books I want to read and so, this was one of the first ones I picked up. Goodness only knows why I waited so long! 

This is a dual time line and begins in 2011 when Jess is squatting in a small terraced house that belonged to a lady called Stella Thorne. Even though she shouldn't be there, Jess keeps the place as tidy as she can and when a letter arrives marked urgent, she feels she has to open it as the house hasn't lived in for so long, what could be so important?

The letter is from an American gentleman by the name of Dan and in the letter he says he is looking for Stella and wants to catch up one last time before it's too late. 

Jess then finds a boxful of previous letters from Dan dating back to the 1940's and on reading further, she finds out that they were lovers whilst Stella was married and Dan was an American soldier based in Suffolk!

Meanwhile, Will is an heir hunter working for an employer who he despises, but when he is sent to the home of Stella Thorne to try to find out if she has any living relatives, this opens a whole new can of worms for not only him, but the lives of Stella, Dan and everybody else who was connected with them during WWII.

Wow, I love a wartime story, but this one really pulled at my heart strings and I just knew it was one that would stay with me for a long time. It is powerful and totally absorbing and a true love story that will keep you turning the pages well into the night to find out what happens to Stella and Dan.

I have now ordered the author's next book as I really can't wait to read more from her. 






No comments:

Post a Comment